|Souche de l'Arbre
- Né le 19 janvier 1849 - Troupeville, Lowndes Co., GA
- Décédé le 6 novembre 1948 - Georgia Soldiers Home, Atlanta, GA , à l’âge de 99 ans
- Inhumé - Manchester Cem., Meriwether Co., GA
- William Wesley Dowling , né le 14 août 1816 - Salkehatchee, Barnwell Dist., SC , décédé le 19 janvier 1884 - Valdosta, Lowndes Co., GA à l’âge de 67 ans , inhumé - New Bethel Baptist Church, Lowndes Co., GA
Marié le 8 février 1838 , Lowndes Co., GA, avec
- Ardelia Elizabeth Frier , née vers 1825 - Bulloch Co., GA , décédée le 12 janvier 1895 - Lowndes Co., GA à l’âge de peut-être 70 ans , inhumée - New Bethel Baptist Church Cem., Lowndes Co., GA
Union(s), enfant(s), les petits enfants et les arrière-petits-enfants
- Marié en 1870 , Lowndes Co., GA, avec Georgia Ann Hayes , née le 16 octobre 1852 , décédée le 1er janvier 1926 - Georgia à l’âge de 73 ans , inhumée - Manchester Cem., Meriwether Co., GA (Parents : Joseph Hayes 1821-1887 & Nancy Jernigan 1829- ) (voir note) dont
Frères et sœurs
Grands parents paternels, oncles et tantes
Grands parents maternels, oncles et tantes
rootsweb: Click Here
event: military service [between 13 MAR 1864 and 26 april 1865] Co. G, Florida 1st Cav. Regt.
event: picture [april 1945]
event: link View on GeneaStar
GEN. DOWLING, GRAY VET., LAST IN SOLDIERS HOME, DEAD
Gen. William Henry Taylor Dowling, 99 year old Confederate veteran, lost a gallant battle with death yesterday.
The "General," last veteran living at the Georgia Confederate Soldiers Home, died in a local hospital after a 10 day fight with pneumonia. He would have been 100 years old in January.
Funeral services will be conducted at 3 PM today at the Moreland Avenue Church of Christ, with Rev. W.D. McPherson officiating. Burial will be at 1230 PM tomorrow in the Manchester Cemetery.
The General was a lad of 16 when he marched out of Lowndes County to join the Confederate Army. He wasn't a general then. "I was too young; just a private," he once said. But he became a "general" three years ago, a full 80 years after the conclusion of "The War of Northern Aggression," when he was elected Commander in Chief of The United Confederate Veterans at their annual reunion in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Gen. Dowling lived in Valdosta after the war, and married Miss Georgia Hayes. He was a farmer and Church of Christ minister, serving many small churches around Valdosta.
"He was a great singer in his younger years," said Mrs. Lora Slote, the General's daughter. "He always loved pretty singing and pretty girls."
Gen. Dowling moved from Valdosta to Manchester, where he lived 22 years, and lived in Griffin a few years before coming to the Confederate Soldiers Home seven years ago.
Only two Confederate veterans are left in Georgia now. They are W.J. Bush, 103, of Fitzgerald, and W.J. Brown of Carrolton, who declined to give his age, but who must be pushing the 100 year mark.
There are 13 Confederate widows living in the Soldiers Home, and 700 throughout the state.
--- The Atlanta Constitution, Sun. Nov. 7, 1948
Notes concernant l'union
- Naissance, décès: Dowling Family Tree - Tim Dowling - rootsweb, 2001-2013 - - electronic - I100129