• Born 28 January 1846 - Borglum, Hjorring, Denmark
  • Deceased 26 January 1921 - Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States,aged 74 years old
  • Buried 28 January 1921 - Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah, United States



  • Married 13 July 1861, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States, to Sheldon Bela Cutler 1831-1870
  • Married 5 February 1872, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States, to Alanson Norton 1814-1904



On the side of Mads Christian Jensen 1822-1898



  • Individual:
    - Ancestry.com - 360 W 4800 N
    Provo, Utah, 84604, United States
    [database on-line] www.ancestry.com - Pioneer Immigrants to Utah Territory - Page 001338
    - Ancestry and Descendants of Mads Christian Jensen 1600-1960 - Kathryn S. Jensen, 1960 - Pages 48-50 - Sketch of the Life of Maren Jensen Cutler Norton
    (Written for the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers)

    I, Maren Jensen, was born January 28, 1846, in Hjorring, Denmark. My father was a miller by trade, also a millwright, and his work kept him from home most of the time and the cares of home and children were left for mother, everything to attend to both indoors and out, but we were always happy. When I was five years old, my parents joined the Mormon Church. Then persecution began. The mob was very cruel to the Saints, and when we had meetings on Sunday, they would gather around the house, and as soon as meeting closed, they would take the Brethren and treat them very cruelly. Many parents did not feel that they could endure such treatment longer, so they sold their homes and all their household goods and prepared to emigrate in the year of 1852. In November we left our home and went to Copenhagen. On the fifth of December the same year, we sailed for England with the first company of Mormon Emigrants that emigrated from Scandinavia.
    We landed safely at Hull. We then prepared to sail for America. We sailed on a sailing vessel, which travels much slower than a steamship. We were on the Atlantic eleven weeks and three days, and had very little to eat. They gave each of us a tin plate, tin cup, and a spoon when we started and we kept them as our own. Then a man came around with two large pails, one in each hand, and gave us our rations. Every other day we had split peas boiled without seasoning, and often burnt at that. The next day we had barley prepared for food, and boiled the same way. The grown people had one cup each day, us children half a cup. Then we had what they called sea-biscuits. They were as large as a small saucer and were made of shorts or some course meal of some kind, and so hard we could only gnaw them, but we were glad to get the one each for the grown-ups and the one half for children.
    We had no water except what was carried on the ship, and they used to haul it up, out of the bottom of the ship every morning, and we could have only so much a day. I was seven years old at this time—the oldest child in the family and I used to take the little tin pail and get our allotment for the day. We never sat down to a table while on board the ship.
    Then one day a steam boat came and took us on board and we soon landed in St. Louis, Missouri. The day we got on that boat, I went to the kitchen door. Then is when I saw the first Negro woman, and she gave me a slice of white bread and a piece of roast beef, and a piece of pickled beet. I never tasted anything so good. I ran to Mother and gave her some of it, and she enjoyed it too. While in St. Louis, we had better food.
    Then we went to some other State by rail, I think Iowa, and prepared to cross the plains. We traveled with ox teams, two yoke to the wagon. Some had three oxen and a cow, so as to have a little milk. There were two families to each wagon, so there was no chance for anybody to ride that could walk. I walked all the way and enjoyed it.
    On the twenty-ninth of September, we arrived in Salt Lake City, stayed there a short time, then moved to Kaysville where we lived in a dugout, and it seems to me when I think of Mother, that she was very happy. We had a cow and some chickens, and she felt right at home. There is where I first attended school, taught by a sister Allred in her own house—one room, without a floor except the good earth. We had a couple of slabs of wood against the wall for seats. I could not speak a word of English and when the other children talked to me, I cried. Sister Allred had a little boy who sat in a little chair by her side. She leaned over and said something to him and he stood up. She motioned for me to come to her. She put her arm around me and smiled at me, and I felt I had found a friend. Then she seated me in her little boy’s chair by her side. In a few days I began to play with the children.
    We then moved back to Salt Lake. The next year, we moved to Ogden where Father ran a mill. The first winter was known as the “hard winter.”
    When the cattle died from starvation they were dressed out and used for food. When spring came we cooked greens and dug roots for food, until vegetables could be raised. After living in Ogden for two years we moved to Brigham City, where father ran a flour mill for President Lorenzo Snow. My parents lived in Brigham City the rest of their lives. He died in 1898 and she followed fourteen months later.
    I was married to Sheldon B. Cutler in 1861. He died in 1870. We had four sons. John, my eldest son, was born April 29, 1863, and died at Idaho Falls, April 11, 1891, leaving a wife and five children. My second son, M. Christian, born May 22, 1865, only lived eight hours. My third son, Parley, born June 2, 1866, lives at Idaho Falls, Idaho. My fourth son, Andrew, born April 27, 1868 lives at Pocatello, Idaho.
    In 1872, I was married to Alanson Norton. We had two sons, Elvin J., born January 6, 1877, lives in Salt Lake City. Joseph A., born February 14, 1882, died at Logan, Utah, March 16, 1902, aged twenty years, one month, and two days.
    So ends the sketch s Maren gave it, of her own life. There is so much more that could be told of this good woman, her joys and sorrows, her successes and failures, but no doubt if she had told us about them she would have said of them, as she did of her journey across the plains, “I passed through my life doing the best I could, and I enjoyed it all the way.”
    Maren learned weaving from her mother and for many years had a loom in her home. She supported herself and her children by selling the woven carpet by the yard to people in the community.

  Photos and archival records

{{ media.title }}

{{ media.short_title }}
{{ media.date_translated }}

 Family Tree Preview

Jens Christian Kristensen 1787-1872 Maren Andersen 1790-1856  

Mads Christian Jensen 1822-1898 Maren Hansen 1826-1899

Maren Jensen 1846-1921

  1. gw_v5_tour_1_title


  2. gw_v5_tour_2_title (1/7)


  3. gw_v5_tour_3_title (2/7)


  4. gw_v5_tour_3bis_title (2/7)


  5. gw_v5_tour_4_title (3/7)


  6. gw_v5_tour_5_title (4/7)


  7. gw_v5_tour_6_title (5/7)


  8. gw_v5_tour_8_title (6/7)


  9. gw_v5_tour_7_title (7/7)


  10. gw_v5_tour_9_title